Question about 'TEMPEST': UPS

Kevlar webmaster at max-web.com
Wed Dec 23 21:58:29 PST 1998

At 09:39 AM 12/23/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Just curious, if a computer is connected to the electric power through a UPS,
>does that reduce emissions leaked into the electrical system?:wq

While I can't anwser that question, I do know of a technique where you look
at the rises and falls in resistance on an ic (like a cpu, or other
microprosser) and be able to tell what instructions were being executed.
The problem was that you needed to

A) Know what instructions were being executed so you could assign them to
different patterns (calibrate first).

B) Do A every time you switch ic's. (recalibrate every time you change ic's)

Of corse you need a clean power supply to begin with, and some way to
measure nearly imperceptable changes in resistance.

There once was a file I read on "Real Programmers (substutite with any
computer profession).
This is from my memory so don't quote me:
"
Real Programmers don't eat quiche.
They eat microwave popcorn.

Real Programmers don't pop their microwave popcorn in microwaves.
They use the heat of the cpu.

Real Programmers don't use Gate Emulators.
They can tell what instruction is being executed at any given time by the
rate of the popcorn popping.
"

I thought it was appropiate.

-Kevlar
<Webmaster at max-web.com>

Does God know Peano Algebra? Or does she not care if strong atheists
couldnt reason their way out of a trap made of Boolean presumptions?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but zero knowlege is
absolutely subversive.

Overspecialization breeds in weakness. It's a slow death.

Beat your algorithms into swords, your dumb terminals into shields, and
turn virtual machines into battlefields... Let the weak say, "I am strong"
and question authority.