I must admit. . .

Richard.Bragg at ssa.co.uk Richard.Bragg at ssa.co.uk
Fri Dec 18 02:25:15 PST 1998

So maybe this needs a multi-phase approach.

1)The mail programs themselves will encrypt between servers.  This can be
used to both protect the message(s) from being read (easily).  Does PGP
also assist by doing some compression?.  Also it can be used to autheticate
messages using a signiture which will have the dual purpose of providing
some tamper proofing.

2)The receiving mail-server will autheticate the incoming message against
its own list of known servers, and validate that the contents of the
message as a whole appears OK.  Maybe it will flag messages that fail these
checks.  It can also flag messages that arrived without server encryption.

3)If the incoming decrypted message is not itself privately encrypted by
the sender it will use PGP to encrypt the message for the user before
storing locally.  If the sender has already encrypted the message then it
will simply store it.

Caveats

A)All systems must have compatible encryption systems or access to those
systems.  (Why limit to just one?) and all those systems must have some
sort of agreed means of flagging the message to allow automatted
decryption.

B)Some means of exchanging public keys must be developed.  This must allow
for keys to be changed.  What happens when keys are changed, and messages
are still in transit from the old keys.

C)Not everyone is wise enough to use UNIX.  Some people even use (pardon
the language) Windoze or even AS/400's.

There is plenty more scope for discussion here I think even if it is some
of the less verbally able slagging off about old ideas that can't/won't
work because ... etc.  Surely there are enough brains out there to thrash
this through properly.

Hwyl

"William H. Geiger III" <whgiii at openpgp.net> on 18/12/98 00:23:05