Linux Encrypted File Sytem

joel boutros jdb at layer8.net
Fri Dec 11 15:53:06 PST 1998

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 01:45:55PM -0600, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> Did you try CFS? It does not require any patches to the kernel or
> the mount program.

CFS encrypts files and directory names individually, rather than
filesystems as a whole, allowing the user to infer directory structure
by examining the encrypted store.  It also does really badly if you
expect to use it with more than one user.

In addition, the documentation (last I looked) pretty clearly says
not to use it in a multiuser environment.

TCFS makes extensions upon CFS.  I don't know how well it does, though,
or whether it fixes the problems listed above.  I've only heard it
described in the context of a suggested alternative.

There are apparently several others, whose names I don't know,
unfortunately.  I've not looked at them.

- joel "No real content, just a comment or two"