Building crypto archives worldwide to foil US-built Berlin Walls

x x at x.com
Tue Dec 8 01:46:28 PST 1998

This brings to mind again a method of distribution that I've thought for
some time and has probably been discussed on this list before.  In this
distribution method, as long as there is the opportunity to cooperate ahead
of time and out of band, there is the potential for retaining the ability
to provide access any binary data that would be subject to unwanted control.

The scheme is just a variation of secret sharing and all that is necessary
is for several different entities to replicate portions of the desired
software, which portions in and of themselves cannot be subject to any
control.

For (a trivial) example take the image of PGP zipped up for download.
Three different sites create a unique portion of that image for themselves,
for example, each site takes every third byte, and throw in some additional
obfuscation by each site XORing their portion of the image by some
additional data available at a fourth site such as a collection of
cypherpunk list text.

It then is trivial to reconstruct the desired image from the independent
sources, while none of the sources themselves can be subject to controls
without having to go down the rat hole of having to define what really
constitutes the restricted material -- either in all possible forms, or in
terms of all possible transforms applicable to the partitioned source
material.  Otherwise it could be argued that there is a function and that
takes the image of an ASCII representation of Herman Melville's Moby Dick
into the image of PGP.ZIP and therefore Moby Dick is an export controlled
item.  Or is the transform the export-controlled item?  Or what?

Eh?