LACC: Re: Is hate code speech?

Kurt Buff kurtbuff at halcyon.com
Wed Aug 26 22:07:50 PDT 1998

Sorry, but you've got it slightly wrong, or maybe you don't...

| I'm sorry to digress, since this isn't why the article was originally
| posted, but I was forced to succumb to the troll.  Free
| speech is essential
| in an open society.   Freedom from discrimination is essential in a
| democracy.   Carry on.

"Free speech is essential in an open society." Yup, true enough.

"Freedom from discrimination is essential in a democracy." Well, maybe.

I do take notice of your change in terms, there. All democracy means is mob
rule. We don't live in a democracy, and I think you should be glad you
don't.

Frankly, I think a better observation would follow the form of your first
one - "Freedom to discriminate is essential in an open society."

The phrase "Freedom from..." has always meant a curtailing of freedom, in my
experience.