George Santyana, 1905 and the zeitgeist

bill payne billp at nmol.com
Tue Aug 4 18:48:48 PDT 1998

Tuesday 8/4/98 6:17 PM

J Orlin Grabbe

When I sent

            The contemplation of things as they are,
                without error or confusion,
            without substitution or imposture,
   is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention.

   Francis Bacon

I had not seen the news.

I watched Dan Rather, ABC, and PBS.

I THINK I realized the importance of what you wrote at
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/apocalyp.htm
when I wrote at Tuesday 8/4/98 10:58 AM

  Larry Gilbert is our broker at Dain Rausher, formerly Rausher, Pierce
and Resfnes.

  I phoned Gilbert this morning to alert him to
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/apocalyp.htm

The about 300 point drop in the DJ.

I THINK we are doing LOTS OF THINKING.

We are THINKING ABOUT the zeitgeist.

We do not cause what MAY happen.  We MAY only predict it.

By THINKING and STUDYING HISTORY.

THINKING SLOWLY is the most important part.

                   Sitting Bull, whose Indian name
                   was Tatanka Iyotake, was born in
                   the Grand River region of
                   present-day South Dakota in
                   approximately 1831. His nickname
                   was Hunkesi, meaning "Slow"
                   because he never hurried and did
                   everything with care.

http://www.incwell.com/Biographies/SittingBull.html

Morales and I are BOTH SLOW THINKERS.

Morales, his wife Becky said at about 17:30, also got a letter from US
attorney Mitchell.

Retired Washington State University econ chairman Robert F Wallace

       "Stupidity is difficult to underestimate."

recommended I read The Great Crash by John Kenneth Galbraith.

I did a bit of searching on the web and found

  "Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."
                                        -- George Santyana, 1905

http://rickohio.com/mag/articles/monica.htm

You and John Young http://www.jya.com/index.htm are riding the
zeitgeist, I THINK!

Morales and Payne may be on the zeitgeist too.
http://www.jya.com/whp071598.htm

Let's all hope for settlement of this unforunate matter. Before it gets
WORSE.

Best
bill