Position escrow

Smoking Man fibonacciprime at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 02:06:30 PDT 1998

>I might wish that the government had the
>means to track every automobile's location.

...Planes come standard with ILR? (International Locator Radio).
Cars hav accidents too often for that...too expensive to serv it
maybe.

>What we need are cellphone remailers.

Some might. I'm not sure how much though.

>Third parties who want to use ordinary/automated cellphone tracking
systems
>will get the physical address of the relay, not that of the phone.

Hmmmm. Same principles as remailers...Latency? Relay switching?
>number of antennae/base stations that the regular cellphone folks do,
so
>it'll be harder for them to use trianguation and timing to derive
physical
>location.

Contrarily, the fewer the remailers, the EASIER--could be only
one remailer to compromise.
Realtime Mixmaster? Heh. Parallel MixMaster.

>>I expect the main countermeasure to cellular position tracking will be
>>the use of one-way pagers.

That depends on the protocol they use. Simplex? Old things. Probably.

>But one-way pagers are a dying technology - and I'll bet that within
3-5
>years, it'll no longer be possible to turn off cellphones.

>>Perhaps if the "just turn it off" approach is widely promoted, the

Won't hav too. How many people does it take to keep a secret?
Anything you say or do offensively, wrongly, or illegally can and
probably will be used against you somehow, especially if you
mention it or you're caught.
You hav the right to be silent.
No one has the right to understand you if you giv up that right.
You may purchase the right to authenticate financial transactions.