Position escrow

Steve Schear schear at lvdi.net
Thu Apr 23 10:25:55 PDT 1998

At 3:08 PM -0700 4/21/98, Phil Karn wrote:
>I expect the main countermeasure to cellular position tracking will be
>the use of one-way pagers. Keep your cell phone turned off, and if you
>get a page when you're someplace you don't want them to know, wait
>until you leave before you return the page.
>
>Perhaps if the "just turn it off" approach is widely promoted, the
>carriers and vendors will see the threat to their business and press
>for some safeguards. Otherwise they just won't give a damn.

Another, more sophisticated measure is to replace the omni with a
directional antenna (corner reflectors are pretty small at analog cellular
frequencies and above and can have excellent gain and front-to-back
ratios).  The disparity of your received signal between different cell
sites, plus the near-far problem for CDMA systems, could make accurate
location much more difficult.

--Steve

PGP mail preferred, see  	http://www.pgp.com and
				http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

RSA fingerprint: FE90 1A95 9DEA 8D61  812E CCA9 A44A FBA9
RSA key: http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0x55C78B0D
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
Lammar Laboratories       |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: schear at lvdi.net