Position escrow (triangulation, cell "remailers")

Austin Hill austin at total.net
Wed Apr 22 18:30:30 PDT 1998

The Navy's Onion Routing project (www.onion-router.net) actual makes
reference to anonymous cell phone networks by using encrypted proxies
(Onions).  The current implementation is IP based, but the briefing
documents refer to any public networks including pager and cell networks.

-Austin
Quoted text from Phil Karn (karn at qualcomm.com ) on 4/22/98 12:33 PM

>>On cell "remailers": Why resend the cell signal?  Why not instead set up a
>>generic phone call resender, which could be used by cell users and
>>non-users alike?  As long as you use the call resender for all of your
>>important calls, the feds (and others) will find it very difficult to
>>figure out what cell phone ID to triangulate or home phone number to tap
>
>Exactly. And I think this brings the remailing concept full
>circle. Wasn't the basic idea invented for telephones way back in
>(alcohol) Prohibition days? As I recall, a device called a "cheesebox"
>connected two phone lines. When a call came in on one line, it went
>back out on the other. You'd place a cheesebox in some third party's
>back room, e.g., a restaurant owner who was paid for the privilege and
>to keep his mouth shut. If the cops traced a call, it would lead them
>to the restaurant owner, who would tip off the bootleggers.
>
>Does anyone have any historical references for these things? I think it
>would be fun to see how an earlier age made use of anonymous remailers
>based on a much simpler technology.
>
>Phil

Austin Hill                                   Zero-Knowledge Systems Inc.
Chief Technical Officer                                  Montreal, Quebec
Phone: 514.286.2636                                     Fax: 514.286.2755
"Anonymity represents for many people a liberating even more than a
threatening phenomenon."
                                         -Harvey Cox, The Secular City