Position escrow (triangulation, cell "remailers")

Phil Karn karn at qualcomm.com
Wed Apr 22 10:33:48 PDT 1998

>On cell "remailers": Why resend the cell signal?  Why not instead set up a
>generic phone call resender, which could be used by cell users and
>non-users alike?  As long as you use the call resender for all of your
>important calls, the feds (and others) will find it very difficult to
>figure out what cell phone ID to triangulate or home phone number to tap

Exactly. And I think this brings the remailing concept full
circle. Wasn't the basic idea invented for telephones way back in
(alcohol) Prohibition days? As I recall, a device called a "cheesebox"
connected two phone lines. When a call came in on one line, it went
back out on the other. You'd place a cheesebox in some third party's
back room, e.g., a restaurant owner who was paid for the privilege and
to keep his mouth shut. If the cops traced a call, it would lead them
to the restaurant owner, who would tip off the bootleggers.

Does anyone have any historical references for these things? I think it
would be fun to see how an earlier age made use of anonymous remailers
based on a much simpler technology.

Phil