Cell Phones of State

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Apr 8 16:54:22 PDT 1998

The State Dept Press Briefing today:

   MR. RUBIN:  I'm sorry I didn't come earlier, and I didn't
   know that cell phones were permitted in the briefing room,
   but I guess they are. Remember that phrase "cell phones",
   it will come back in the next 24 hours.

Nothing else about it during the briefing. Curious, unless it refers
to the Senate's approval on April 1 of S.493, The Wireless
Telephone Protection Act, which incorported amendments
by the House of HR 2460, and that Clinton is expected to
sign it shortly.

Still, maybe State is going to announce something more
dramatic about SIGINT.

See S.493:

   http://jya.com/s493.txt