Leahy's Crypto Wake-up Call

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sun Apr 5 20:08:50 PDT 1998

Excerpt from Congressional Record, April 2, 1998:

WAKE-UP CALL ON ENCRYPTION

  Mr. LEAHY. In my view, encryption legislation should
promote the following goals:

  First, legislation should ensure the right of Americans
to choose how to protect the privacy and security of their
communications and information;

  Second, legislation should bar a government-mandated key
escrow encryption system;

  Third, legislation should establish both procedures and
standards for access by law enforcement to decryption keys
or decryption assistance for both encrypted communications
and stored electronic information and only permit such access
upon court order authorization, with appropriate notice and
other procedural safeguards;

  Fourth, legislation should establish both procedures and
standards for access by foreign governments and foreign law
enforcement agencies to the plaintext of encrypted
communications and stored electronic information of United
States persons;

  Fifth, legislation should modify the current export regime
for encryption to promote the global competitiveness of
American companies;

  Sixth, legislation should not link the use of certificate
authorities with key recovery agents or, in other words, link
the use of encryption for confidentiality purposes with use
of encryption for authenticity and integrity purposes;

  Seventh, legislation should, consistent with these goals of
promoting privacy and the global competitiveness of our high-
tech industries, help our law enforcement agencies and national
security agencies deal with the challenges posed by the use of
encryption; and

  Eighth, legislation should protect the security and privacy
of information provided by Americans to the government by
ensuring that encryption products used by the government
interoperate with commercial encryption products.

  Do you agree with these goals?

  Mr. ASHCROFT. Yes, I agree with these goals and will look to
these same items as a reference point for the drafting,
introducing and passage of encryption reform legislation.

  Mr. LEAHY. Would the Senator agree to work with me on
encryption legislation that achieves these goals and that we
could bring to the floor this Congress?

  Mr. ASHCROFT. Yes. I believe it is critical for us to address
this issue and soon. I also believe that we should work together
to produce a piece of legislation that demonstrates our position
on encryption policy.

-----

Full remarks: http://jya.com/wakeup-call.txt  (18K)