regulating the internet -- clarification

James Lucier jlucier at atr.org
Thu Apr 2 15:10:27 PST 1998

Let's be fair to Jennifer: the Internet is a self-regulated community.  From
Netiquette to Protocols, there is actually quite a lot of regulation going
on.  However, for the most part, this regulation is voluntary:  you choose
to opt in, or in the case of Spamford Wallace, people ultimately choose not
to deal with you. They may even seek civil remedies in court. In this
respect, the Internet is a model for the self-regulating markeplace of the
future.

Is is possible to regulate the Internet?  You bet, but not in any
productive, useful way.  You want to regulate the Internet?  Just go to
France and try something called the Minitel.  It's a nice toy that some
people like to play with, but it is a closed-end system that does not have
the capacity to evolve, develop, and innovate the way the Internet does.

Encryption controls are a great example of the futility of attempting to
"regulate" the net.  As Adam Back delights in showing, you can write
powerful crypto in tiny little hacks of maybe 130 characters or so in perl.
These give you the ability to encrypt any size file with a key of abritrary
length.  Who are the feds kidding when they think that they can "stop"
people from doing this?