Why the White amendment is a good idea #2

Aaron Weissman aweissman at mocc.com
Thu Sep 25 15:26:39 PDT 1997

On Thursday, September 25, 1997 11:34 AM, Tim May [SMTP:tcmay at got.net]
wrote:
> Though we as technical people are usually cautious to say that
> "unbreakable" is a dangerous word, the fact is that it's our current best
> description of what a 2000-bit RSA key is, and that's all there is to it.

I don't dispute you -- in the slightest -- that a brute force attack
against a 2000-bit RSA key is functionally impossible today.  However, I
don't think that a brute force attack is the most likely for a functional
law enforcement (or national security) crypto lab.  Unless you think that
today's algorithms and conventional random number generators are perfect

Aaron