The great GAK crack (making GAK economically impossible) (fwd)

Fisher Mark FisherM at exch1.indy.tce.com
Wed Sep 24 09:59:42 PDT 1997

> I believe that any denial-of-service attack will simply drive up the
costs
>of licensing encryption programs and keys to the point that only
>corporations will be able to afford to release encryption products and
>purchase keys (in bulk).  Remember, we have to pay them for the
privelidge
>(not right) of communicating "securely".

If domestic GAK is mandated, my recommendation to my employer will be to
not transmit anything via the Internet that we wouldn't want on the
cover of The New York Times (or EE Times).  As a U.S. subsidiary of a
foreign corporation, I would not be surprised if our communications were
decrypted and the contents passed along to our U.S. competitors if
domestic GAK is mandated.  (Can you say, "industrial espionage"?  I knew
you could.)
Mark Leighton Fisher          Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm at indy.tce.com          Indianapolis, IN
"Their walls are built of cannon balls, their motto is 'Don't Tread on
Me'"