"Matchcode" technology sparks privacy flames.....

Will Rodger rodger at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 22 16:23:14 PDT 1997

At 03:46 PM 9/22/97 +0000, Declan McCullagh wrote, regarding the
right of people to say almost anything anywhere under any
circumstance:
 This principle does not disappear when the
>> >information being shared is digital.

To which I suggested that simple gossip is qualitatively different
from posting confidential information about others to, say, a
newsgroup or Web page. Thus:

>> That's a bold assertion, but not one that squares easily with the
>> half-dozen or so privacy laws already on the books at the federal
>> level.

(stuff snipped)

Declan responded:

>And yes, some of the "half-dozen or so privacy laws already on the
books"
>are misguided. Just as many argue laws against drugs, gambling, or
>FCC rules prohibiting the broadcast of "indecent" material are also
>unconstitutional -- and a waste of our police's time.

That's a great response, but I still see little chance that this
argument will go away on constitutional grounds. Until then, I'm
reporting on what happens. It's shocking and intellectually
indefensible, I know, but hey, my money's on reality.;-).

>> I would like to go to those small-town folk of whom urban
>> intellectuals write so eloquently and ask them what they would
think
>> of their neighbors posting all their gossip to a place where
millions
>> can read it. Something tells me they wouldn't see those two
actions
>> as one in the same. There is a qualitiative difference between the

>> two.
>
>The problem is, I suspect, in drawing that line. Want to try your
hand in
>drawing a line outlining the scope of "obscenity" laws? Remember
they
>cover textual material in some states and comics in others. No? I
didn't
>think so.

Actually, I'd be more than happy to "draw the line" if I did such
things for a living - but I don't. In any case, I'd address the topic
of privacy on its own without referring to hot button issues like
obscenity. I invite everyone else to decide if the two issues are a
fair parallel or not.

I now invite Solveig, Julie and everyone else to comment. Me, I'm
just betting on the horses....

Will