InfoWar 15 / The GeigerBurg Text

Bianca bianca at dev.null
Sat Sep 20 04:18:49 PDT 1997

                       The True Story of the InterNet
                                  Part III

                                   InfoWar

                  Final Frontier of the Digital Revolution

                     Behind the ElectroMagnetic Curtain

                        by TruthMonger <tm at dev.null>

Copyright 1997 Pearl Publishing

                          InfoWar Table of Contents

   * The Real Problem
     The Problem Within The Problem

                              The Real Problem

Subject: Re: Taxless society concerns
From: ? the Platypus {AKA David Formosa} <dformosa at st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
To: snow <snow at smoke.suba.com>
CC: Warpy <warpy at sekurity.org>, cypherpunks at toad.com
x-url: http://www.st.nepean.uws.edu.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html

The Real Guy didn't know why this particular post to the CypherPunks mailing
list had caught his eye. It was a pretty basic example of some of the
anarchist versus realist banter that was traded on the list from time to
time.

Perhaps what caught his eye was that this post was one of the dying remnants
of a fading civilization, and it was interspersed among a number of posts
aligning with a rapidly approaching future. This short, seemingly
inconsequential post to the CypherPunks list somehow appeared in his mind to
be representative of a problem that he had been working over in his mind
lately, trying to get a handle on it-to define it.
To define what he suspected was the real problem…

That's why he had changed his online persona from ? the Lunatic to "The Real
Guy." To remind himself of his new direction.
It was impossible, he knew, to define once and for all time, what the
ever-present, nefarious "problem" was. It was like the Tao, always flowing,
always changing. But he suspected that perhaps this, in itself, might
actually be the real problem.
Then again, perhaps not…since it didn't seem to be a problem for the
CypherPunks' Philosopher King; the one he called the Grouchy Old CypherPunk.

The King of Philosophical Grouchiness changed the signature-line in his
email as the problems facing society and the weathervane CypherPunks
changed.
Lately, he had been changing it with increasing frequency, and this made The
Real Guy very, very nervous. (He had watched a tornado forming one time,
from its very center, and its chief creative feature seemed to be, not the
particular direction the wind was changing to, but the increasing frequency
of the change.)

Perhaps The Real Guy was on the wrong track, here, giving so much thought to
what seemed to be just an everyday, normal post to a mailing list which had
no shortage of strange, lengthy rants about everything imaginable, no matter
how weird or far-out it may have been. He suspected, however, that the real
reason most people watched a television news program of the day, called '60
Minutes,' was because they were waiting to hear what the 'regular' guy had
to say. The Real Guy thought of him as a 'regular' guy, not because he was
on the show regularly, but because he was like real people; he was a 'real'
guy, himself.
The Regular Guy at the end of the program was always talking about real
problems that regular, everyday people experienced every single day of their
life.
He was kind of like a Grouchy Old CypherPunk who dealt with everyday stuff
instead of stuff that was going to change the world practically
overnight…maybe.

When The Real Guy read the post by snow and ? the Platypus, he couldn't help
but envision them still discussing who was responsible for the orphans far
into the future, right up to the point when the darkly clad, heavily armed
Storm Troopers broke down their doors and burst into their houses.
He could see them, in his mind's eye, and hear them, in his mind's ear, as
they politely asked the armed intruders who they thought would "take care of
the orfins" in an anarchist, taxless society. [Bang!] He could see them sink
slowly to their knees, in pain, holding their stomachs, as their blood
flowed rapidly out of their bodies, and they spoke the last words that would
inevitably prove to be the last words of a multitude of CypherPunks spread
across the face of the globe as the forces of fascist dictatorships hunted
them down and deleted their signature files upon this celestial orb: "Then I
guess that a blow-job is completely out of the question….aaarrrrggghhh!"
<thud>

The Real Guy shook himself out of his reverie and realized that Dimitri
Vulis' evil influence on him had perhaps been more than he had previously
thought.
Turning back to the task at hand, he thought about the many definitions of
the problem, (AKA the real problem) that he had come across, over the course
of his lifetime, and how each of them may have been appropriate for the time
and circumstances to which they were meant to apply.
Perhaps the eternal problem had to do with addressing the latest, greatest
version of the real problem, whatever that might be. There was no doubt that
the Dark Forces had their minions creating new, improved problems at an
increasingly fast rate as the end of the millennium approached. As well,
their human compatriots had mastered the art of devising systems which
ensured that by the time any specific 'problem' had traveled through the
government and societal systems of laws, regulations and mores, that any
'solution' reached would be long outdated and meaningless.