Crypto-law etc

John Kelsey kelsey at plnet.net
Thu Sep 18 16:28:27 PDT 1997

> From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis at FreeGate.net>
> To: cypherpunks at toad.com
> Subject: Crypto-law etc
> Date: Wednesday, September 17, 1997 2:35 PM

> The longer I follow the crypto "debate" the more I begin to
> understand what must have been the real intent behind the
> 2nd amendment of the constitution.
>
> If the White House can get crypto code defined in the true
> legal sense (that is backed up by case law) as a munition,
> do US citizens then have a constitutional right to "bear" it?

Sure.  We get the same right to bear it as we have to own rocket
launchers, machine guns, or flame throwers--none.  The second
amendment hasn't protected our right to possess those things,
which pretty clearly fall into the realm of its direct intentions--why
would it protect our right to use crypto, which isn't even that clear
cut?

--John Kelsey, kelsey at counterpane.com