what is a PKS phone? (Re: Notes from the Cypherpunks September Bay Area Meeting)

Cynthia Brown cynthb at sonetis.com
Tue Sep 16 16:22:48 PDT 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Adam Back wrote:

> Martin Minow <minow at apple.com> writes:
> > EH: New Japanese phenonemon: tiny PKS cell phones. Teen-agers (who
> > are driving lifestyle changes) all use them.
>
> What is a PKS phone?
>
> Does it have end to end encryption?  Or is it just a standard GSM
> phone in a star-trek communicator style form-factor, or something
> else?

Could be a typo for PCS, which is similar to GSM but uses the 1.9 GHz band
instead of 900 MHz (GSM) or 1.8 GHz (DCS). Unfortunately, I don't think
there are dual-mode phones yet.

Cynthia
		   Cynthia H. Brown, P.Eng.
E-mail:     cynthb at iosphere.net  | PGP Key:  See Home Page
Home Page:  http://www.iosphere.net/~cynthb/
Junk mail will be ignored in the order in which it is received.

        Klein bottle for rent; enquire within.