in defense of Lon Horiuchi

snow snow at smoke.suba.com
Sun Sep 14 19:13:02 PDT 1997

> There are many issues one could legitimately argue regarding
> a policeman who accidentally kills a non-combatant bystander
> during a fight.  But comparing such a policemen to a
> terrorist who deliberately targets non-combatants with a bomb
> is beyond the pale.  That, but for my interruption, this
> comparison would have passed unremarked among the cypherpunks
> crowd is damning.

	I think the point, Zooko, is that the sniper didn't
"accidentally" kill the woman and her baby. It was a deliberate
shot. If it wasn't a deliberate shot, then not only is the
shooter criminally negligent, but so is the person who handed
him the rifle.

> Why I'm posting:
> I don't expect that merely because of my contradiction the
> more rabid cypherpunks will suddenly throw off their twin
> blinders of ideology and hatred.  Neither do I desire that

	There is no (or little) hatred of individuals here. There
is hatred for ideologies, beliefs, and points of view. I don't hate
you. I don't know you. I might hate you if I knew you, it is a
stastically probability, but until we meet, who knows. I DO hate
big intrusive governments. I don't see the problem there.

	I do hate the politics of the Big Lie, and the politics of
mob rule. I don't see the problem there.

	I do hate spending 1/3 to 1/2 of my working hours supporting
lazy good for nothing bums. No, I am not talking about welfare reciepents,
I am talking about Government workers. I don't see a problem with this.

> because there are a great number of silent readers of the
> cpunks list, and some of these people, perhaps being young or
> inexperienced, may consider such vile slanders to be
> self-evident truths if they continually see them pass
> unchallenged.

	Post a challenge, not erroneous "facts".