Snuffle Destroys United States: Film at 11

Peter D. Junger junger at upaya.multiverse.com
Fri Sep 12 05:25:38 PDT 1997

Mike Duvos writes:

: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "Snuffle" was some
: simple-minded cipher designed to test ITAR.  I didn't think it
: was something anyone would choose to incorporate into a serious
: product.

I am quite sure that you are wrong in this.  It is a serious program
written to demonstrate Bernstein's algorithm for converting a secure
hash function (which as it happens is exportable) into an encryption
program (which is not exportable).  It certainly was not written to
test the ITAR and restricting it under the ITAR or the EAR was and is
rather odd as it contains no encryption code itself.  Or, at least,
that is my understanding.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu