The problem of playing politics with our constitutional rights

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Sep 11 22:24:18 PDT 1997

Libertarianism is the only coherent ideology when it comes to the
Internet. I'm told there may be a piece appearing shortly on HotWired
arguing just this. At the Libertarian Party convention last summer, a
bunch of cypherpunks including some on f-c showed up and made the platform
even more pro-crypto and anti-GAK. I wrote about this for HotWired then.

But to defend modern liberals for a moment (I'm a recovering one. Yes, it
takes a long time.), groups like EPIC and the ACLU are generally
liberal-ish and they're quite good on encryption.

Of course, the Democrats in Congress are some of the biggest anti-crypto
folks around.

-Declan