More on House Intelligence committee amendment on crypto

William H. Geiger III whgiii at amaranth.com
Thu Sep 11 19:38:17 PDT 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.95.970911152027.12105Z-100000 at well.com>, on 09/11/97
   at 03:38 PM, Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> said:

>So I'm reading through the 43-page amendment to SAFE that the House
>Intelligence committee approved today. It includes:

>* Ban on sale of crypto without a backdoor. Five year & fine (maybe
>$250,000?) if violated. Prosecutions can be held in closed-door
>courtrooms, publishers of info about case to be held in contempt of
>court.

>* Federal government computer purchases must use key escrow "immediate
>decryption" after 1998. Same with network established w/Federal funds.

>* Such products can be labeled "authorized for sale to U.S. government"

>* U.S. government may "not mandate the use of encryption standards" for
>the private sector

>* Export decisions aren't subject to judicial review

>* Defense & Commerce have controls of exports of crypto

>* Establishes Encryption Industry and Information Security Board

>* Internet providers, key recovery centers aren't liable if they turn
>over keys following legal standards

>* President can negotiate int'l agreements, perhaps punish noncompliant
>governments

>I'm still reading... More details shortly...

>-Declan

Declan,

Is there any way you can get me a copy of the amendment? My congressman is
on that committie and I intend to raise a stink down here on this.

Copies of the transcripts from the meeting and voting recored would be
helpfull.

I understand that 1 congresscritter voted against the amendment, do you
know which one it was? I would like to make sure it wasn't Joe
Scarborough.

Thanks,

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii