Netscape browser crypto

Tom Weinstein tomw at netscape.com
Thu Sep 11 16:55:37 PDT 1997

Steve Mynott wrote:

> I notice Netscape 4 has support for "cryptographical modules" and comes
> with PKCS#11 module.  Are there any third party modules (PGP?)
> available?

There are a number of hardware vendors with PKCS#11 modules for smart
cards
and other hardware devices.  These include Litronic, Chrysalis-ITS and
DataKey.

> Also is it possible to import certificates (PGP?) into the browser so
> you aren't stuck with Verisign et al.

You can import X.509 certificates and private keys.  The data format is
an
early version of PKCS#12, which is actually more similar to MicroSoft's
PFX.  I believe the spec is available on our web site.  There are also a
number of other CAs on the web, including Thawte in South Africa.

--
What is appropriate for the master is not appropriate| Tom Weinstein
for the novice.  You must understand Tao before      | tomw at netscape.com
transcending structure.  -- The Tao of Programming   |