House National Security committee guts SAFE, worse than nobill

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Wed Sep 10 11:19:00 PDT 1997

>On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Brock N. Meeks wrote:
>
>> Gore didn't say shit.  Sorry but there is no polite way to say this.
>> Gore's remarks at the SPA speech were a great example of "state speak"
>> which the State Dept. has perfected, saying much and in "code" through
>> the use of phrasing and even tone.
>

>Let's look at what Gore did say:
>
>>    WASHINGTON, Sept 9 (Reuter) - With the FBI floating a proposal to
>>regulate the domestic use of computer encoding technology, Vice President
>>Al Gore asserted Tuesday the administration had not changed its policy
>that
>> allows free use within the United States.
>>   "The administration's decision has not changed on encryption, but this
>>is an area where we need to find ways to work together to balance the
>>legitimate needs of law enforcement with the needs of the marketplace,"
>>Gore told a meeting of the Software Publishers Association in Washington.
>
>I agree it's word games, but that's hardly a surprise. Especially since
>Gore's denial seems a bit too narrow. What about the administration's
>policy on free //distribution// of encryption? That's what Louis Freeh
>wants to ban, as an initial move.

Declan --

No offence to you as a reporter, but I wouldn't trust Reuter's paraphrasing
of what he said as far as I can throw my monitor.

They paraphrase and then call it a quote.

Does anyone have a transcript of what he actually said?
The whole speech?

It's not on the whitehouse site, nor CNN, nor the SPA site.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Aladdin Systems   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>

"In Washington DC, officials from the White House, federal agencies and
Congress say regulations may be necessary to promote a free-market
system." --  CommunicationsWeek International April 21, 1997