Comdemnation of 'The Sovereign Individual'... (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Sep 10 05:56:28 PDT 1997

Forwarded message:

> From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii at invweb.net>
> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 01:07:15 -0400
> Subject: Re: Comdemnation of 'The Sovereign Individual'...

> You sense of "morality" does not give you the right to steal from me to
> support it. In a free society you are more then welcome to spend as much

First it isn't morality in the sense of personal decisions of right and
wrong but rather a question of professional ethics akin to a doctor or
engineer. It is basic questions about the limits and responsibilities
involved in specific activities.

Your 'free society' is a euphamism for anarchy. You are promoting a system
where all activity is voluntary.  In such a system nothing higher than
unshaven naked peole with a rock and the rabbit they just killed exists.
There is no motivation in such an environment to build higher
infrastructures because there is no mechanism to provide environmental
stability.

In such a system individuals don't have time to do anything but protect what
they have and take as much of their neighbors environ as possible. They
don't have time for anything else, if they go off and spend 8 hours building
that nice pretty public road for that new auto plant their neighbors take
what they have and tomorrow they discover they don't have time for that
public road after all. You might say, well let your wife and kids watch it.
To that I say, isn't that the same as letting elected officials build a
infrastructure - there is an implied taxation taking place. Furthermore you
have about the same amount of security in both systems - I doubt you would
be brash enough to propose that all husbands can trust all wives and kids.

> you want on the children of others. You *DO NOT* have the right to spend
> my money on them. That is a decision that I and I alone have the right to
> make.

Not if you are a citizen and abiding by the contractual agreement between
you and the n-1 citizens of your nation.

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |