Nuclear Hedge Funds

Declan McCullagh declan at pathfinder.com
Tue Sep 9 22:07:32 PDT 1997

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Tim May wrote:
> Declan would be very unlikely to be in the lethal zone, unless he happened
> to be near one of the obvious targets.
>
> (Which in my opinion would be the White House, the Congress, the Pentagon,
> or the densepack burrowcrat warrens. Using the above calculations, it is
> quite reasonable that big chunks of these buildings would survive a
> suitcase nuke placed a few hundred meters away. The Pentagon might lose a
> bite out of it, and thus look like some kind of mil-spec Apple logo.)

That's hardly comforting (not sure if it was meant to be). I work four or
so blocks from the White House and spend a good bit of time in the Capitol
and related buildings. My office is in the densepack lobbyist warren
territory on K Street.

I do live, however, about a mile and a half from anything especially
targetworthy.

-Declan