Letter sent to SJ Mercury staff on CA SJR-29 ...

Ernest Hua hua at chromatic.com
Tue Sep 9 13:50:00 PDT 1997

 Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:26:34 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Ernest Hua <hua at chromatic.com>
 To: business at sjmercury.com, computing at sjmercury.com, state at sjmercury.com
 Subject: Why no coverage of CA resolution on Encryption?
 Cc: hua at chromatic.com

 Why was there no coverage of CA State resolution SJR-29?

 I find it using the search facility at:

     http://www.sen.ca.gov/www/leginfo/SearchText.html

 And the result is at:

     http://www.sen.ca.gov/htbin/ca-billpage/SJR/29/gopher_root2:[bill.current.sjr.from0000.sjr0029]

 The on-line magazine has a full article by Will Rodger on this:

     http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/daily/970908b.html

 Apparently there was some attempt by the Clinton Administration to
 cover up their lobbying effort.  I don't understand why the
 Administration would care about a California state RESOLUTION of all
 things.  Why does the Clinton Administration want to prevent a state
 legislature from speaking its mind?

 And what's with this attempt to claim "copyright" on that fax?

 Please get some answers on this!  The US Senate/House will be voting
 on important encryption legislation in the coming days.  The people of
 this country deserves to have a open, informed, serious discussion of
 one of the most important privacy issues of the information age.  We
 cannot afford to let a few intelligence and law enforcement agencies
 dictate policy TO us against our will.

 Ern