Gao's Chaos Cryptosystem Algorithm (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Sep 8 20:27:55 PDT 1997

Forwarded message:

> Subject: Re: Gao's Chaos Cryptosystem Algorithm
> Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:54:31 -0500 (CDT)
> From: ichudov at algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)

> Nobuki Nakatuji wrote:
> >
> > Gao's Chaos Cryptosystem Algorithm
> >
> > 1.key input
> > 2.input key generate chaos initial condition
> > 3.input key generate chaos signal(random number)
> > 4.chaos initial condition plus chaos signal
> >   XOR plain text
>
> How do you generate "chaos"?

I can think of several ways right off...

 -  radioactive source

 -  controlled water flow through a faucet

 -  waterwheel such that each bucket contains a hole of the correct size

 -  magnetic pendulum

 -  jello scintillation counter

 -  A-B chemical oscillators at their critical point

 -  a light detector placed under a tree in a breeze or wind

 -  Chaos Game

 -  Foucalt Dust

The real question is what algorithm is used to generate the random seeds.
The above mechanical systems (eg magnetic pendulum) are excellent sources of
random numbers whereas the algorithmic (eg Chaos Game) methods are more
suspect and open to breaking.

You might want to check out:

Fractals for the Classroom: Part 1; Introduction to Fractals and Chaos
Peitgen, Jurgens, Saupe
ISBN 0-387-97041-X
ISBN 0-540-97041-X

I haven't looked at Part 2 yet so I don't have a clue as to its applicability.
But considering the authors reputations I would suspect it would be worth
a check out (I am planning on buying a copy anyway).

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |