FBI calls for mandatory key escrow; Denning on export ctrls (fwd)

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Thu Sep 4 00:30:00 PDT 1997

At 11:08 PM 9/3/97 -0400, Brian B. Riley wrote:
> ... hmmmm,  immediate *lawful* decryption ... which implies that they
>plan to end run the Bill of Rights with some law that permits them to
>walk in and snoop on the spot ... right now to look at my mail which
>needs no key, just a teakettle, they at least have to stop somewhere and
>find a tame judge, which removes at least some of the immediacy.

Finding a judge to sign an order to decrypt the email of a suspected child
pornographer/drug dealer will take all of 30 minutes. I don't think a 30
minute delay will be of any consequence to the government's agenda. Not to
mention that Freeh lied to Congress when he claimed that they would always
use a court order. Even today, court orders are not always required for
wiretaps. This will be no different for future "mandatory" or "involuntary"
GAK.

[BTW, does anybody here have any idea why Freeh might stated that he
preferred "mandatory" GAK over "involutary" GAK? Just curious...]

Back to monkeywrenching,

--Lucky Green <shamrock at netcom.com>
  PGP encrypted mail preferred.
  DES is dead! Please join in breaking RC5-56.
  http://rc5.distributed.net/