Stay issued; modified stay to follow (fwd)

Cypherpunks Maintenance Account cpunks at www.video-collage.com
Wed Sep 3 17:22:57 PDT 1997

----- Forwarded message from Bob Kohn -----

>From cpunks  Fri Aug 29 04:41:12 1997
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:06:00 -0700
To: Cindy Cohn <Cindy at mcglashan.com>
From: Bob Kohn <kohn at pgp.com>
Subject: Re: Stay issued; modified stay to follow
Cc: sadams at forbes.com, telstar at wired.com, plotnikoff at aol.com,
        Ewasserman at sjmercury.com, dang at cnet.com, steven at echo.net,
        abate at ccnet.com, wendyg at cix.compulink.co.uk, amy at netcom.com,
        courtm at cnet.com, alan.boyle at MSNBC.COM, declan at well.com,
        sep at cbsnews.com, kenc at cwi.emap.com, arb at well.com, exp at mk.ibek.com,
        bransten at interactive.wsj.com, TomBemis at pacbell.net,
        sam.perry at reuters.com, jimevans at aol.com, ljflynn at aol.com,
        wendyl at ljx.com, bernstein-announce at toad.com
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at toad.com

[text/enriched is unsupported, treating like TEXT/PLAIN]

Too bad.  Prof. Bernstein was perfectly positioned to become a great -- and the only legal -- exporting reseller of PGP software.  (no, this is not off the record)

Bob

At 06:21 PM 8/28/97 -0700, Cindy Cohn wrote:

>During a conference call with counsel today, Judge Patel issued a stay of

>the injunctive relief issued in her Opinion of August 25, 1997, effective

>until September 8.

> On September 8 (or sooner if we get the papers to her) the Court she will

>issue a formal Stay Pending Appeal which will stay the injunctive relief

>issued in her Opinion of August 25, 1997, except that an injunction shall be

>reinstated to prevent the prosecution of Professor Bernstein for the

>"unlicensed export" of Snuffle 5.0 (which includes Snuffle and Unsnuffle)

>and any later versions of that program which he has developed.

>This eliminates, at least for the meantime, the injunctive relief granted to

>Bernstein as to any other computer programs which he may have developed or

>otherwise wished to publish.  It also eliminates the protections for persons

>other than Professor Bernstein.

>The government has said that it may still challenge this more limited stay

>in the 9th Circuit.  Professor Bernstein may also seek relief from the stay

>from the 9th Circuit.

>Cindy

>************************

>Cindy A. Cohn

>McGlashan & Sarrail, P. C.

>177 Bovet Road, 6th Floor

>San Mateo, CA  94402

>(415) 341-2585 (tel)

>(415)341-1395 (fax)

>Cindy at McGlashan.com

>http://www.McGlashan.com

Robert H. Kohn

Vice President, Business Development

PRETTY GOOD PRIVACY, INC.

2121 S. El Camino Real, 9th Floor

San Mateo, California 94403

Direct: (415) 524-6220

Cellular: (415) 297-6527

Main: (415) 572-0430

Fax: (415) 572-1932

kohn at pgp.com

PGP Home Page: http://www.pgp.com

Personal Home page: http://www.kohnmusic.com/people/bkohn.html

<smaller>"If all the personal computers in the world - ~260 million
computers - were put to work on a single PGP-encrypted message, it would
still take an estimated 12 million times the age of the universe, on
average, to break a single message."

 -- William Crowell, Deputy Director of the National Security Agency,

	testifying before the U.S. Congress on March 20, 1997</smaller>

----- End of forwarded message from Bob Kohn -----