NSA/NIST Security Lab

Ray Arachelian sunder at brainlink.com
Tue Sep 2 10:27:34 PDT 1997

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, John Young wrote:

> NSA and NIST will set up a new lab for evaluation of
> information-security products, including crypto algorithms:
>
>    http://jya.com/nsa-nist.txt
>
> The lab will coordinate with other nations. Plans include
> eventual shifting the evaluation to private testing labs
> once accreditation standards are set.
>
> With critiques by Bruce Schneier and Steve Walker,
> and a slap from NCSA, which now provides testing,
> "They've been talking about this stuff for years."

Uh huh, yeah, we'll be getting the NSA to review security...  Joy.  I can
see it now.  "Single DES is very safe.  40 bit keys are more than
enough..."  Even with Bruce on this, it doesn't warm my trust to them...

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder at sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....