democracy?! (Re: Terrorism is a NON-THREAT (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Fri Oct 31 05:03:50 PST 1997

Forwarded message:

> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:13:59 -0800 (PST)
> From: mark at unicorn.com
> Subject: Re: democracy?! (Re: Terrorism is a NON-THREAT

> Jim Choate wrote:
> >If we as individuals can't make our own decisions about what is best for us,
> >what makes you think some stranger will do any better?
>
> Indeed. Yet in a democracy, any two other members are assumed to know
> better than me, and any 51% to know better than the other 49%.

No, it doesn't - your definition of democracy is a simplistic if not
childish view intended to cast democracy in the worst possible light
imaginable. What you describe is a democracy which has no bill of rights or
explicit limitations on the issues that the democratic body can vote on.
Obviously there is nothing in the definition of a democracy that prevents
those founding the democracy from stating:

"Congress shall make no law respecting ..."

or

"The rights of the people to .... shall not be infringed."

Grow up.

> Indeed, thereby proving that democracy *doesn't* work.

You've proved nothing except your a priori dislike for democracy because you
want to convince others you are an angel.

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |