I don't need no steenking badge...but I got one anyway

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Oct 28 18:24:03 PST 1997

At 2:32 PM -0700 10/28/97, Anonymous wrote:

>I know what you're thinking, kid.
>You're thinking, "I'm going to try doing this on Halloween, and if I
>get caught, I'm going to tell mom and dad I was checking on the old
>lady's health."
>
>Forget it. You don't have a badge, and you're going to get your
>bottom tanned.

You should see some of the various realistic-looking badges one can buy at
the gun shows! From agencies and correctional departments and obscure law
enforcement agencies...but all very realistic-looking. Also availabe from
the back of various gun and survival magazines, but I like to look at
things in person, up close, before committing to a purchase.

This has some very slight ObCrypto connections, in that badges are, as a
class, taken to be "face value claims of authority." Flashing a badge is
often all it takes to gain entrance to a house, or access to controlled
areas.

So, with the proliferation of essentially perfect copies of badges, and
laser-printed credentials to match them, what happens to "real"
badge-carrying officers? (And just what _are_ real officers in an era of
ten thousand police and law enforcement jurisdictions, hundreds of agencies
authorized to have their agents carry guns and make arrests, and no
traceability, no top-down authentication system?)

--Lt. Timothy May, sworn Peace Officer, Lagrange County, CLS