DEA trying to subpoena book dealers

stewarts at ix.netcom.com stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 27 10:28:15 PST 1997

Heard on the radio this morning that a book publisher in Berkeley
received a subpoena from the DEA (not from a judge, from a DEA agent...)
requesting information on everybody in Arizona who bought their
book on marijuana hydroponics.  The publisher declined to cooperate,
and there was a nice First Amendment riff from the reporter about it.
Their name sounded like Ronin Press.  A book store in Tempe also received
a subpoena for names of everyone who'd bought the book.

Cypherpunks relevance?  Will web publishers get the same treatment?
Will corporations running Corporate Message Recovery get requests
for email sent to their sales addresses?  How many of them will comply
rather than noticing the bogosity of the subpoena?  On the other hand,
at least with CMR, companies can set decide how much information to keep,
and this sort of abuse may encourage them to limit their use of it.
				Thanks! 		Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639
[I'm currently having hardware problems with my main email;
send Cc: billstewart at att.com if you need to reach me in a hurry.]