cryptographic anecdotes

Julian Assange proff at iq.org
Sun Oct 26 17:19:33 PST 1997

I'm involved in producing a segment on cryptograpic issues for Radio
National (ABC) to be aired latter this week. I have no problems with
the technical issues but could use some (reliable) "colour" i.e small
quirky or unusual anecdotes that will draw in and hold the larger
order of listeners who don't otherwise have any cryptography/
cryptographic-policy background.

	e.g	o RSA export-a-crypto-system .sig
		o algorithm tatoos (couldn't find any confirmation of
		  this :()
		o if cryptography is arms, then US constitution
		  right to bear arms
		o programming languages embody freedom of speech
		  (patel)
		o (otoh) machine-understandable languages are not protected
		  speech: as soon as a computer can understand Ulysses
		  it's no-longer protected. (I'm not sure about Ulysses
		  but Oracle and the computational linguistics groups
		  at Edinburgh and MIT have code to perform summaries
		  of the King James bible).

Cheers,
Julian.

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your
proff at iq.org          | people's throats."
proff at gnu.ai.mit.edu  |                -- Howard Aiken