NAMBLA embattled -- mirror sites?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Oct 25 00:52:19 PDT 1997

At 6:14 PM -0700 10/24/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Folks on f-c and cypherpunks have mirrored holocaust revisionist web
>pages, banned books, and censored newspapers. Now I understand that NAMBLA
>is in danger of losing its home on the web. Anyone up for mirroring the
>(text-only)  publications of perhaps the world's most controversial
>organization?

This is one of several types of information too dangerous to mirror. Most
mirrors have involved stuff those damned furriners have banned, like
Holocaust denial info, the Mitterand book, the Homulka-Teale material, etc.
It's pretty safe to mirror stuff banned in Germany, Israel, France, Canada,
etc., but not so easy to mirror stuff banned in the U.S., or highly
controversial material.

Mirroring the NAMBLA stuff could be a severe career-limiter, for example.
Even if not strictly illegal.

(Recall that a student, who shall remain nameless here, mirrored some
controversial stuff at his Ivy League school. He was almost kicked out of
the graduate school program he is in, as I recall the story (but this was
about 2 years ago, so my memory may be hazy). After withdrawing the
material and promising to stay in line, the situation cooled down. Imagine
his woes had he mirrored NAMBLA material!)

Other too-dangerous material would be, for example, U.S. defense secrets,
personal medical files, material ordered closed in court cases, etc.

These are areas where untraceable data havens really shine. My own
Blacknet, as an example. If the NAMBLA material were to be periodically
sent out via remailers, to Usenet, censorship would be nearly impossible.

And so would traceability and, hence, culpability.

--Tim May