Spoofing

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Oct 23 23:25:26 PDT 1997

At 11:17 PM -0700 10/23/97, semprini at theschool.com wrote:
>I don't think I'm out of line here in saying that all this spoofing of
>other users is a bit childish. I'm sure there are better
>things one could find to do with one's time. (Possibly work on
>cracking RSA's 128- bit key?)

I agree, but I think you'll soon see that any calls for the perpetrator(s)
to cool it will only increase his or her output.

Every year or so we've had some Source of Amusement (his amusement, if not
ours). Consult the archives for who the perpetrators were in past years.

Consult the extended headers on the spoofed messages for clues on who this
year's clown is. (Hint: Look for "Received: from wombat.sk.sympatico.ca" in
the extended headers. Connections to little dogs from Kansas, bad rock
bands from Africa, Jim Beam, Elvis's agent, and chainsaws are readily
apparent.)

There's something about the Cypherpunks list that causes some people to
decide it would be a kewl act of performance art to disrupt it, distract
it, stalk it, and mailbomb it.

And complaining never helps...it only stimulates their performance art juices.

There's a sociology thesis in this for someone.

--Tim May