US Senator Lott Criticizes FBI Crypto Plans (fwd)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Oct 23 21:27:43 PDT 1997

To be sure, Lott is one of the good guys on crypto. (So far, at least.) But:

> Let us remember
>>that not everyone in the government is in Louis Freeh's pocket

Remember, the folks not in Freeh's pockets are in the pockets of the
telephone companies or some other rich lobby group. When legislation is at
stake, the needs of industry only occasionally coincide with civil
liberties.

-Declan