Singaporean control freaks & CMR (Re: puff pieces vs tough crypto issues)

Harish Pillay harish at ganymede.contact.com.sg
Thu Oct 23 18:29:24 PDT 1997

William -

Hi.

> In <199710231543.XAA02822 at ganymede.contact.com.sg>, on 10/23/97
>    at 11:43 PM, Harish Pillay <harish at ganymede.contact.com.sg> said:
>
> >Hi.  For the sake of sanity and completeness, the following has to be
> >corrected.

> >> The net-filtering and social control aspects of Singapore are very
> >> interesting.  Seems that somewhere like Singapore might be an earlier
> >> adopter of mandatory GAK -- social ills have hugely disproportionate
> >> treatment over there.  I hear (and our Singaporean contributer
> >> confirms) that chewing gum is illegal, jay walking too.  (Hey you have
> >> the jay walking laws in the US too don't you?)  (I missed the social
> >> control aspect of the vote for kewlest public toilet story).
>
> >Chewing gum per se is not illegal.  I just cannot buy them from any store
> >in Singapore.  I can chew to my heart's content.  I can go up north to
> >Malaysia, buy a whole month's supply of gum (name your flavour) and bring
> >it back into Singapore.
>
> >So, what is moronically illegal is that I cannot sell that pack of gum.
>
> Signapore is a prime example of "mirco management" at it's worst. Whenever
> such management is attempted either in the public or private sector they
> fail. It should be intresting to see how long Singapore can keep it up.

I don't think the "micro management" is at it's worst in Singapore - not by
a long shot.  It is true that the Singapore government tries to do so and
in a lot of what they attempt, they somehow come out smelling roses.  But
they have goofed up royally as well.

Regards.
Harish Pillay                             	  h.pillay at ieee.org
Singapore      *** Ask me about Linux *** http://home.pacific.net.sg/~harish