Unlocking crypto-secrets Wired article -- request for help

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Oct 22 13:25:42 PDT 1997

I'm working on a Netizen article for Wired Magazine on secret
crypto-briefings and thought I'd ask the list for help.

You know the briefings I'm talking about -- classified sessions where the
FBI director, the Commerce Dept, NSA, and occasionally anti-drug officials
pressure Congressmen to place restrictions on encryption. Sometimes it
works, and our elected representatives vote to put strict limits on
encryption technologies. (The secret briefings certainly seemed to work on
the House Commerce committee.)

I'd like to unlock those closed doors. If anyone has insights into what
happens during these sessions, I'd be very interested in learning more.
Pointers to open sources would be great. I will keep your identity
confidential.

I'd also be interested in learning more about the secret briefing practices
of other countries.

Please feel free to recirculate this message. I've attached my PGP key
below. Please use it sparingly; I keep my private key on a non-networked
machine and it's laborious to move data back and forth. If you want to send
a tip through an anonymous remailer, a web-based one is at:
  http://www.replay.com/remailer/anon_no_ssl.html

Thanks,

Declan

http://www.well.com/user/declan/.pgpkey

PGP Key fingerprint =  F4 0A 36 1F 7F B1 4B CB
                       5C 38 2C 13 FE 1E 4D 80