index.html

Anonymous anon at anon.efga.org
Tue Oct 21 16:10:34 PDT 1997

>                   U.S. SAID VULNERABLE TO COMPUTER ATTACK
>
>    "Today, the right command sent over the Internet to a power
>    generating station's control computer could be just as effective as
>    a backpack full of explosives and the perpetrator would be harder to
>    identify and apprehend," the panel wrote in its executive summary to
>    the report.

"Today, we decided to hook up the computer that controls the power supply
of several states to the most hostile WAN in history.  OMIGOD, THERE'S
AN INSECURE POWER GENERATION CONTROL COMPUTER HOOKED UP TO THE INTERNET!
Everyone in the US, $2 please, so we can fix it."

>    The report recommends stepping up research and establishing a
>    nationwide program to educate people on the scope of the problem. It
>    also recommends revising existing laws to ensure protection against
>    electronic attacks through the Internet.

This sounds like a bad cyberpunk novel.  Two crackers in some hotel room
in a hyper-crowded city in Japan, hacking the "power control network".
Suddenly, one of them stops and says, "Shit."  The other looks up,
startled.  The first says, "I forgot.  This is against the law."  A
pause.  Then they both start rolling around a floor covered with anti-
static bags, polystyrene, and fast-food cartons laughing until they turn
blue.

>    "Law has failed to keep pace with technology. Some laws capable of
>    promoting assurance are not as clear or effective as they could be,"
>    the panel wrote.

When I hear the "Law has failed to keep pace with technology" mantra, I
get the feeling that lawmakers want license to pretend that Moore's Law
applies to them, as well.  Double the amount of criminal laws and regs
every 18-24 months.

>    "We identified existing laws that could help the government take the
>    lead and serve as a model of standards and practices for the private
>    sector," it wrote. "We identified other areas of law that can enable
>    infrastructure owners and operators to take precautions
>    proportionate to the threat."

"We think we can do what we want with what we already have.  Give us the
money anyway."

Nuke them from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

Golem