Security flaws introduced by "other readers" in CMR

Adam Back aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Sun Oct 19 02:36:43 PDT 1997

Fabrice Planchon <fabrice at math.Princeton.EDU> writes:
> Adam Back <aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk> writes:
> > (Jerome Thorel interviewed the head of SCSSI (NSA equivalent),
>
> [clarification of SCSSI functionality, and french government organisations
> who would tap communications.]
>
> > Now I understand the French have switched position: you can use
> > encryption without a license *provided* that it has master key access
> > for the government.
>
> I would say people who wrote the current law 2 years ago didn't have a
> clue on the technical issues, anyway. That's why we are still waiting
> for the "decrets d'application", which are the set of rules on how the
> law will be enforced. Somehow I would bet they are waiting to see where
> the wind blow at the international level.

I talked to some people at CESG (Communications Electronics Security
Group) (they are part of GCHQ, UK NSA equivalent) in a business
setting.  It was they who said that France was changing position to
going over to "key escrow" or TTPs (Trusted Third Parties).  From
their point of view they seemed to view this as a good development,
because they could use France as an example of a progressive, socially
responsible government which the UK government should follow the
example of.  They were very happy with this because they could use it
in their arguments to attempt to persuade the UK government and
people.

Perhaps the CESG are exaggerating because they would like this to be
the case because it suits their argument.

But on the other hand, it seems likely that CESG have had talks with
DGSE and SCSSI and it seems probable this really is what these French
government organisations really are planning for.  Probably there are
opposing elements in the French government also.  But CESG/GCHQ are
vying for those elements which are in favour of "TTPs" to win.

You can see how each new government that takes the TTP or key escrow
stance allows the secret services and governments in other countries
to clamour for their countries to follow suit.

People can also see I hope how PGP Inc in influencing an
international standard (IETF OpenPGP) to include explicit support for
third party access to communications traffic is dangerous.  However
this is not the biggest danger, the biggest danger is that PGP Inc are
implementing software solutions (pgp5.5) which as far as I can see, in
all honesty, could literally be useful to the French government and
others like it.  If the French government adopt it, or a system
implemented by a European company with the same functionality (that
pgp5.5 has this functionality means others must follow for financial
reasons in being compatible), then pro-GAK government agencies will
point to this as a success story.  Already Bruce Schneier quoted from
the US congressional record where some GAKkers were praising pgp5.5
functionality in demonstrating their case that GAKware is possible.

> > With the pgp standard as is french government could insist that people
> > use pgp5.x.  pgp5.x provides a reasonablly useful framework for the
> > french government to adapt to be used as a master access system.
>
> http://www.lemonde.fr/multimedia/sem4297/textes/act42972.html
>
> It's in french, so I won't quote. The article has a very neutral
> position, but they point out exactly the same thing as you.

Do they actually mention PGP software, or OpenPGP standard?  Or just
the general principle?

It is reasurring to hear that my analysis is supported by others.  I
am trying to think through what a GAKker would want and predict what
they will be interested in seeing in standards and in off the shelf
products.  From that I am interested to use this estimate as a basis
to design systems which resist the GAKkers desires, by denying any
functionality which supports their requirements where this can be done
within the normal user requirement constraint.

It is difficult with arguments against a company such as PGP Inc which
has a very high reputation capital due to Phil Zimmermann and large
privacy following, because some people will oppose what you are saying
just on principle without listening to the logic, they will say "you
must be wrong, because PGP would never do that."

But, the simple fact is that I think PGP Inc have not evaluated these
indirect implications for GAK politics.  This means I think that they
have pure intentions.  Unfortunately these pure intentions do not help
us if the effect is as I fear: that the result helps the GAKkers to
some significant amount.

> > Because this will then be explicitly allowed, more people are likely
> > to use it.  (Current people using pgp2.x illegally are one suspects
>
> I know at least one academic site where system administrator were
> prevented from switching to ssh because of the legal issue. Seems the
> campus administration folks wanted to protect their asses...

You confirm my suspicions.  I have several people I know in France who
use encryption illegally.  Not least of these is Jerome Thorel himself
:-) (He who interviewed the SCSSI and had it spelt out to him that it
was illegal, but they wouldn't bother you if you didn't ask
permission).  However those that I know are effectively anti-GAK
activists, or cypherpunk type individuals.

> I don't have the technical expertise to discuss your proposal, so I
> won't (seems less snoop friendly to me than the PGP5.5 solution,
> still).

It is not really that technical an idea.  The idea is simply that
communications keys are more valuable to government than storage keys.
Keyword scanning is what governments want; they probably don't care
too much about storage keys, they are much more expensive to collect
ciphertext for (dawn raids for disks), and are much more difficult to
enforce (who knows what keys are really being used to encrypt data on
your disk, until the point of the dawn raid).

> But what I certainly fail to understand is why PGP inc (and people
> who support them) is focusing on a solution which allows to
> intercept and read e-mail in transit. That inherently evil, no
> matter you put it.

The reason is that they consider it purely a recovery mechanism for
stored emails.  That it has this side effect of making a product which
could be used for other purposes is currently considered an
insignificant risk by them, I think.  I think their analysis in this
regard is flawed.

> And the "hit by a truck" hypothesis doesn't stand a minute
> in real life (Yah, shit happens, so what ?). The (legitimate) needs of a
> company can be achieved via an agreement with its employees, on how data
> are stored, backed, duplicated, whatever, and it has merely nothing to
> do with cryptography.

There you have the Tim May proposal.  Do not recover, just store in
clear.  Most data on disks already is, so why bother.  If you want to
encrypt work out those problems when you come to them, as a separable
issue.  This is a very compelling argument to me.

> Or am I missing something obvious ?

Not that I can see.  I think it really is that obvious.

> So why isn't everybody focusing on being sure the transport layer is
> secure, and leave to social interaction at both end of the communication
> process the problem of recovery of whatever was transmitted ? (which, I
> feel dumb for saying it, was in clear at some point before being sent,
> and will be when it will be read...)

I agree, my confusion also: why do people not understand this.  There
are some very bright people at PGP Inc, why do they not see it in
these terms.

> > Big brother is hindered very significantly if you do recovery locally,
> > rather than on the communications link as PGP Inc CMR does.  This is
> > because big brother does not have access to the ciphertext on disks.
> > He must come and take them.  Whereas for communications he can
>
> And he needs proper authorization before coming. And yes, it takes time
> but that's the price to pay in a system with separation of powers.

He may not need authorization.  I'm not sure MI5 (UK military
intelligence branch) asked authorization before sending an SAS swat
team into BBC head-quarters to confiscate tapes of a secret service
documentary.  Still that one failed because the BBC had hidden backups
:-) (Smart cookies:-) They aired the film later.  No one knows I
suppose whether it was edited before airing.

Also this is the status quo.  Already the police, or terrorist
prevention investigators can inflitrate, perform dawn raids, etc. and
this is as it should be.

> > For data storage recovery, your data is again in two halves: you have
> > one, the _key_, your employee/you have the other, the _ciphertext_ on
> > disk.  Your employee can recover that info anyway.  The NSA can't
> > easily.  It is much more logistically expensive to collect or randomly
> > sample disk contents.
>
> Yes, yes, yes. And still I am sure that we will hear objections to
> that... sigh....

I can't believe anyone who understands cryptography even remotely
could possibly argue against the fact that communications keys are
more valuable to an attacker.  This seems very obvious.

Readers may note Bruce Schneier's remark earlier in this discussion
that he too couldn't believe someone would not separate storage keys
from communications keys.

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...