OUBAKAYAROU!! (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sat Oct 18 06:46:04 PDT 1997

Forwarded message:

> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 18:25:39 -0700
> From: Bill Stewart <stewarts at ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Re: OUBAKAYAROU!!
>
> Meanwhile, there is a cypherpunks-j at htp.org, in Japanese,
> and there's probably still a cypherpunks-e at htp.org in English,
> though the last time I checked it, it had been
> mostly a mirror for the cypherpunks list with almost no independent content,
> and its mail gateway broke badly and splattered all over its subscribers.

What is your problem Bill regarding cypherpunks-e you've made accussatory
comments regarding that list a couple of times now? It is simply another
member of the CDR just like SSZ or algebra.com - is your claim that each of
these has their own indipendant content? If so, catch a clue and realize
they don't unless their broke somehow and quit forwarding. If somebody on
cypherpunks-e submits something it gets gatewayed through SSZ (and hopefuly
others by now) just like traffic from one of the other member remailers. I
wanted to gateway cypherpunks-j as well but we decided folks might get
confused if there were something other than english on here. And
considering both the -e and -j are in Japan, new, and relatively
unadvertised does it really suprise you that they don't have a lot of English
based traffic from that end?

You must be the one(s) who keeps subscribing and unsubscribing to the 3 US
remailers from a variety of (forged?) aliases in the hopes of carrying on the
'moderation experiment' meme. Or perhaps your hope is to catch one of us
down and claim we're filtering because the traffic didn't show up from three
different sources. I can't speak for the other CDR operators but I can say
that SSZ cache's all mail originating on this end and sends it out to the
other remailer sites as soon as we come back online. So nothing gets missed
from SSZ. My internet provider is supposed to be cache'ing incoming mail
to SSZ if we go down and I hope the other remailers also cache their mail
as well. If not, oh well, I 'm not going to miss any sleep over it.

Just in case you missed it the other day, I believe Igor has started
gatewaying a new remailer as well because I saw a 'Test' message from a
cypherpunks mailing list I didn't recognize as one of the known remailer
hosts. If so that means we're at 5 remailers in the network. One of them in
Japan, which meets at least one of our goals to get a remailer node outside
the US. This is a GOOD thing.

My offer to gateway the CDR to any site that requests the subscription
stands. So, if you are operating a remailer with only a single feed point
and that point is not currently SSZ please send me email and I'll add your
site to my re-send list. As to cypherpunks-e, one of the other CDR sites
should consider adding them to their re-send/subscription list.

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |

ps Regarding SSZ's downtime yesterday, at this point don't have a clue
   why the system crashed without warning and then cored when it came
   back up. Once I got home and did a hard reboot it has worked without
   a glitch. Though we still have intermittent droppages of the ISDN
   link lasting 1-5 minutes. I have turned in another trouble call to
   SWBT in the hopes of them fixing it. That makes the 5th ISDN
   trouble ticket in 4 weeks. I think SWBT gets lonely if I don't call
   them at least once a week or else their field folks really have
   forgotten how to write...