Telstra Australia admits it lied about net

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Tue Oct 14 10:33:13 PDT 1997

http://www.australian.aust.com/computer/fulltext/c1014b.htm

         Telstra: We were wrong about Net
         By GEOFF LONG

October 14: A Telstra official has admitted that the carrier
overestimated the congestion problems associated with the Internet,
one of the prime reasons given when it wanted to introduce timed local
calls.

Speaking at the launch of Telstra's Big Pond Business services, Big
Pond general manager John Rolland said congestion caused by Internet
users connecting for long periods was not as big an issue as they
first thought.

He added that the about-face was in line with similar findings from
North American carriers and switch manufacturers Alcatel and Ericsson.

Mr Rolland said that the main problem areas are where ISPs are
situated, but that these were manageable: "What is clear is that in
the medium term we will have hot spots, especially around ISPs."

However, these could be addressed by working with the ISPs and
managing connectivity better.

The remarks came in response to Telstra promoting permanent modem
connections as part of its Big Pond Business offering.