Statists trying to outlaw anonymity and privacy

Igor Chudov @ home ichudov at Algebra.COM
Mon Oct 13 23:40:19 PDT 1997

Dear Friends,

As many of you no doubt know, a new moderated group,
comp.org.cauce, has been proposed. One of the main goals
of moderators is to prevent users of one-way anonymous
remailers and those who munge (alter) their addresses
to avoid being spammed, from posting to the group.

Their proposal would force users to reveal their Internet
identities and expose them to spam.

The proponents hope, apparently, that the more spam people
get, the more will they support CAUCE's statist lobbying for
more government regulations.

During the discussion they have shown complete disregard and
ignored all requests from users who attempted to help them
accommodate anonymous posting. To get more YES votes, they
removed the most controversial provisions from the charter,
while IN THE SAME DAY promising that these provisions will
still be enforced.

As someone who defends privacy and anonymity  on the Internet,
I ask you to vote on this important matter. I will vote NO
on this newsgroup.

Feel free to repost this message to any fora you deem appropriate.

To find the Call For Votes, go to news.groups newsgroup, and find
article titled "CFV: comp.org.cauce moderated". You will find the
charter and the instructions on how to vote.

Thank you for your attention.

	- Igor.