Corporate Access to Keys (CAK) Considered Harmful

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Sun Oct 12 21:06:53 PDT 1997

At 9:50 AM -0700 10/10/97, Tim May wrote:
>I don't think we've yet seen a good example of massive amounts of e-mail
>being examined in a "discovery" process, yet, but we saw the effects on IBM
>during its antitrust issues in the 70s. Basically, every scrap of paper,
>every desk calendar, every internal memo, everything, had to be turned over
>to opposing counsel.

A group from IBM who had developed a telephone based audio messaging system
many years ago described it at Share (the IBM large systems users' group)
many years ago.  They described their system as being used by the top level
IBM executives.  They also described the aggressive "no backups" policy and
mentioned the discovery process in the Justice Department vs. IBM suit.
Tim's point is very real.

Bill Frantz       | Internal surveillance      | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | helped make the USSR the   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | nation it is today.        | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA