CAK as a really bad form of corporate networking

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Oct 10 10:34:58 PDT 1997

I've been scratching my head, trying to figure out what the market for
PGP's new recovery program is for. After all, if employees have local disks
and these disks are on a company network or backup plan, then the
corporation has access to the plaintext of memos, reports, and plaintext
sent and received e-mail. (The purpose of Alice encrypting to Bob being
_in-transit_ security, and nothing more.)

It seems to me that the CAK (Corporate Access to Keys) approach being
talked about, where Alice encrypts to Bob and _also_ encrypts to Eve, is a
poor solution to the "archiving" problem.

As Adam Back and others have noted, if Alice stores her Eudora or whatever
e-mail files on her systems, presumably in plaintext (as the purpose of
encrypting with Bob is for _in-transit_ security, not storage security),
then the corporation can insist that she make her plaintext files
archivable on the company's backup system.

One way to look at the market for CAK is that a company is too flaky to
have a corporate network or backup strategy and is using CAK as a kind of
crude networking scheme. E-mail, with cc:ing of the company crypto czar, is
a way to archive or pool company traffic. A rather back-assed approach, it
seems to me.

Meaning no insult to PGP, Inc. or its fine programmers, it's as if this
message was sent out:

--begin internal Giant Corporation memorandum--