What's really in PGP 5.5?

Bruce Schneier schneier at counterpane.com
Thu Oct 9 07:26:34 PDT 1997

At 4:33 PM -0500 10/8/97, Jon Callas wrote:
>At 08:48 PM 10/7/97 -0500, Bruce Schneier wrote:
>   Jon Calis wrote:
>   >Also, we have three encryption products: PGP freeware, PGP for Personal
>   >Privacy, and PGP for Business Security. Corporate Message Recovery is
>   >included *only* in PGP for Business Security. It is not, and never will
>   >be, in either the freeware or the Personal Privacy product.
>
>   If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), then why is the
>   key escrow code written (although not turned on) in the source code for 5.0
>   that was posted internationally from PGP?
>
>Bruce, I understand that you don't like any form of data recovery, but
>there is no key escrow in PGP. Perhaps we should talk about this on the phone.

Sure.  Please call.  Your CEO called me on Monday, and he tried to tell me
that it wasn't key escrow because you weren't saving copies of any keys.
If you're just going to call to split those sorts of hairs, don't bother.
I'm interested in hearing how your key escrow system works; I've already
been told why you put it in.

Bruce

Bruce Schneier, President, Counterpane Systems     Phone: 612-823-1098
101 E Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis,MN  55419       Fax: 612-823-1590
                                            http://www.counterpane.com