bad alter.net routes, backbone vulnerability

Mark Hedges hedges at sirius.infonex.com
Tue Oct 7 19:08:12 PDT 1997

Right now, as reported by PBI NetCenter staff, Alternet has dumped bad
routes to all of its peers. AGIS has San Diego and Los Angeles off the
air again ... for the third time today ... that's been going on for weeks.

I mentioned the WSJ receipt of report from network engineers that the
backbones are extremely vulnerable to attack, and said I guess someone's
trying to show that crypto's useful for everyone to have, postulating some
mythical encryption authentication could protect the routers from attack.
He said yup, attack on the backbone network "happens all the time."

Mark Hedges
Infonex Internet Inc.